I fell asleep somewhere around 10:30 pm on New Years Eve! I must have been tired or something after working all day?
Therefore, I was up at 6 am on New Year’s Day and what else is there to do but bake?
I love pound cake and I had some buttermilk, too. I wanted a different flavor than the usual buttermilk pound cake and the spice rack gave me the idea of adding coconut flavoring.
Coconut Buttermilk Pound Cake
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon coconut flavor
1 cup buttermilk
1) Preheat oven to 360f. Grease two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans with butter. Dust with flour if you wish.
2) Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
3) Beat together butter and sugar in an electric mixer until lightly and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each. Blend in vanilla and coconut flavor.
4) Add flour mixture and mix well. Add buttermilk mix well. Pour into the bread pans.
5) Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6) Cool the pans on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes. Use a knife to loosen the edges and remove the loaves to cool on the racks. You could ice them with a powdered sugar and lemon juice mixture or nothing at all!