Spring has been in full swing for sometime. Along the front walk my thirteen years of gardening has filled every space!
Gus is well. For a dog with lung cancer it doesn’t slow him down! He will have a second chemo treat Thursday to slow the growth. No estimated lifespan. A few weeks after the treatment they will take radiographs to see if it helps. He goes every week for blood test to check his liver function to make sure the NSAIDs are not damaging its function.
I have been cooking at home most weekends as Gus’ treatments are expensive. It is the perfect season as asparagus and other Spring vegetables are fresh here in the Piedmont of North Carolina. I will try to post a few recipes!
A staple in the winter is some type of curried vegetables. They are flavorful and warm. The recipe can vary but this is what I cooked up last night.
Curried vegetables with grilled tofu
A quarter of a block of firm tofu
A small package of frozen vegetables
1 cup vegetable stock
Curry powder, turmeric powder, crushed red pepper powder
1/2 inch of fresh ginger root
2 garlic cloves
1) heat about a tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium heat and preheat the grill on high
2) grate the ginger with the small holes on a box grader, dice the garlic, and add them to the pan and stir until heat through- about three minutes
3) add the bag of frozen vegetables and stir to mix with the ginger and garlic – mix well for a minute or so to coat well with the oil and garlic/ginger. Add a teaspoon of tumeric, a tablespoon of curry powder, and 1/8 (or to taste) teaspoon ground red pepper, add the stock and mix well and cover with a lid
4) while the vegetables are cooking cut the tofu into bite size pieces. Grill until heated through and turning it- about five minutes
5) mix the grilled tofu with the curried vegetables and serve with your choice of bread. A naan or flat bread would be perfect.