Zucchini squash are everywhere now. They also are called courgettes in Europe as my many English cookbooks remind me. The Zucchini or courgette is a summer squash which can reach nearly 18 inches in length. I prefer the smaller ones although the larges courgettes are best to make fritters!
Zucchini Fritters and yogurt and sour cream dip
1 large zucchini or several small – enough to make about 2 cups graded
1 garlic clove minced
A handful of snipped chives – about two table spoons
2 eggs- beaten
2 tablespoons flour
1) Grade the zucchini onto several layers of paper towels
2) Place a paper towel on top of the graded zucchini and roll it tightly and applying pressure to squeeze out the moisture. Place a heavy plate or pot on top to help squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
3) Let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes to remove as much moisture.
4) Place the drained zucchini in a mixing bowl and snip in several tablespoons of chives or scallions.
5) Mix well with your hands. Add the flour.
6) Mix in about a half-a-cup of cheese – cheddar if you want a strong flavor or a feta for a saltier taste.
7) Beat the eggs and add to the zucchini mixture.
8) Using a soup spoon and a fork, scoop a spoon full of the mixture, flatten it with the fork to compact the mixture.
9) Push the mixture off the spoon into oil which has been heated on low until it shimmers.
10) Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side until the fritter is cooked through. The time it takes for the fritter to cook through to the center will depend on the thickness.
11) Serve with sour cream or a tzatziki sauce. I made a half sour cream and half mayonnaise dipping sauce with a touch of lemon juice.
13 responses to “It’s that a zucchini in your pocket?”
Mmmm…looks so good!
They were tasty!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yum! I love this idea of frying the zucchini. Frying makes everything better.
Didn’t you invite me to lunch?
They didn’t make it through the night!
Sounds good, and a good way to use them all up.
I love zucchini season. And I love stuffing the flowers and frying them. But these fritters are the perfect recipe. Enjoy!!
YUM! These look delicious!
LikeLiked by 1 person